Telehealth psychotherapy sessions will take place either via phone or interactive video using your computer, smart phone or tablet device. This section sets forth the guidelines for Telehealth psychotherapy and provides useful information about conducting sessions via phone or video.
It is important to maintain a setting that is as similar to being in the office together as possible. In order to have effective telehealth psychotherapy, please observe the following guidelines:
(1) Make sure that you are in a private location where your session cannot be overheard by others. Make sure to adjust the volume on your device to ensure your privacy. You are required to inform your therapist if there is anyone in the room with you, or who you believe may overhear session.
(2) Minimize background noise and distractions. Turn off tv’s, music or other sounds.
(3) In a video session, place your device on a steady surface throughout session. Do not hold in your hand if it can be avoided. If it must be in your hand, please hold it as steady as possible. Please try to be in a set location and not moving around. Try to have proper lighting so that the therapist can best communicate with you.
(4) If the connection is broken for any reason, your therapist will call you to try to remedy the situation.
(5) You may not invite others into session time without discussing this with your therapist first.
(6) Video and/or audio recording of sessions and taking pictures/screenshots is strictly prohibited.
VIDEO PROCEDURES AND TECHNICAL ISSUES
A video session reminder email will be sent to you before the start of your session. This email will provide a link to your video session. Scroll down the text of your email to the phrase "Join Video Session". Click on this to log in to the session. It is advised that you log in 5-10 minutes in advance of your session start time so as to be sure the the link works and to engage in any troubleshooting if issues arise before session.
If you to not receive an email with the link to your video session at least 10 minutes before the start of the session, please contact your therapist to let her know so that she might resend the link.
If you plan to use your smartphone or other handheld device for the session, you will need to download the app "Telehealth by SimplePractice" before the start of the appointment. To participate in the session, simply click on the "Join Video Session" link within your email and it will automatically divert you to the app to begin. If you are using your computer, no additional steps are needed.
It is certainly possible, during the course of a video session, that there could be problems that arise in connectivity from either party that may impact video or audio quality. Some of these problems could be related to wifi, internet connections or location. In the event of a disruption in transmission, your therapist will make every effort to reach you by phone to try to resolve the problem. If the video call cannot proceed, the remainder of the session will be completed via phone.
If you are having a medical or psychological emergency, please dial 911 or go to your nearest emergency room. In addition, the following resources may be useful to you in a crisis situation:
Valley Creek Crisis 610-280-3270
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-8255
I understand that I have the following rights with respect to Telethealth psychotherapy:
(1) I have the right to withhold or withdraw consent at any time without affecting my right to future care or treatment nor risking the loss or withdrawal of any program benefits to which I would otherwise be entitled.
(2) The laws that protect the confidentiality of my medical information also apply to Telehealth. As such, I understand that the information disclosed by me during the course of my therapy is generally confidential. However, there are both mandatory and permissive exceptions to confidentiality, including, but not limited to reporting child, elder, and dependent adult abuse; expressed threats of violence towards an ascertainable victim; and where I make my mental or emotional state an issue in a legal proceeding.
(3) I understand that there are risks and consequences from Telehealth, including, but not limited to, the possibility, despite reasonable efforts on the part of my psychotherapist, that: the transmission of my medical information could be disrupted or distorted by technical failures; the transmission of my medical information could be interrupted by unauthorized persons; and/or the electronic storage of my medical information could be accessed by unauthorized persons.
In addition, I understand that Telehealth based psychotherapy services and care may not be as complete as face-to-face psychotherapy services.
(4) I understand that I may benefit from Telehealth, but that results cannot be guaranteed or assured.
Your standard fee, deductible, co-insurance or copay will be collected at the end of each session as usual. Payment will be processed via Ivy Pay and/or Simple Practice, which are both HIPAA secure, credit card payment systems.
A $75 fee will be charged for Telehealth psychotherapy sessions cancelled without 24 hours notice. Some exceptions will be made for serious illness or emergency.