Notice of Privacy Practices
A. Who Will Follow This Notice?
This notice describes the privacy practices of the Nephrology & Hypertension Associates of New Jersey and that of:
- All employees, staff and other Nephrology & Hypertension Associates of New Jersey personnel
- Any health care professional authorized to enter information into your medical record while working at any practice of Nephrology & Hypertension Associates of New Jersey
- All departments and units of the practice Nephrology & Hypertension Associates of New Jersey.
- Any member of a volunteer group we allow to help you while you are a patient with our practice, Nephrology & Hypertension Associates of New Jersey.
All Nephrology & Hypertension Associates of New Jersey entities, sites, and locations that are subject to HIPPA regulations follow the terms of this notice. In addition, these entities, sites, and locations may share medical information with each other for the treatment, payment or health care operations purposes described in this notice. All of the entities, sites and locations are hereafter referenced as Nephrology & Hypertension Associates for New Jersey.
B. We Have a Legal Duty to Safeguard Your protected Health Information (PHI)
Nephrology & Hypertension Associates of New Jersey understands that medical information about you and your health is personal and we are committed to protecting it. This notice applies to all records of your care generated by Nephrology & Hypertension Associates of New Jersey. This notice informs you on how Nephrology & Hypertension Associates may use and disclose information about you. It describes your rights and also the obligations Nephrology & Hypertension Associates of New Jersey has regarding the use and disclosure of your information. Nephrology & Hypertension Associates of New Jersey is required by law to do the following:
- Make sure that medical information that identifies you is kept private.
- Give you this notice of our legal duties and privacy practices with respect to medical information about you.
- Follow the terms of the notice that is currently in effect.
C. How We May Use and Disclose Your Protected Health Information (PHI)
Nephrology & Hypertension Associates of New Jersey may use or disclose your PHI for three reasons:
- To arrange or plan your treatment (e.g., informing your doctors of your condition)
- To obtain payment for treatment (e.g., submitting your information to your insurer to process your claim)
- To support health care operations ( e.g., quality assurance and medical teaching)
Nephrology & Hypertension Associates of New Jersey may use and disclose you PHI without your authorization for the following reasons:
- The disclosure is required by federal, state or local law, judicial or administrative proceedings, or law enforcement.
- Public health activities.
- Health oversight activities.
- Lawsuits and disputes
- Organ and tissue donation.
- Specific government functions.
- To avert a serious threat to health or safety
- Workers Compensation.
- Appointment reminders and health related benefits or services.
- Fundraising activities.
- Health plan disclosures.
- Change of ownership.
Uses and Disclosures that require you to have the opportunity to agree or object
- Patient Directories: Unless you are a patient in a behavioral health unit, we will include the following information in a patient directory while you are a patient: Name, location in the facility, your general condition and you religious affiliation. Your religious affiliation may be given to a member of the clergy. You may opt out of the patient directory.
- Individuals involved in your care or payment for your care: Unless you object, we may release your PHI to a family member, friend, or other person who is involved in your medical care.
- Persons acting on behalf of you: If you are not present or able to agree or object to the disclosure, we will use professional judgment and experience to determine whether it is in your best interest to allow another person to act on your behalf.
D. Your Rights Regarding your Protected Health Information
- Right to inspect and get copies of your PHI: You have the right to look at and get copies of your records that may be used to make decisions about your care. We may deny your request in certain circumstances.
- Right to amend: If you believe there is a mistake in your records, you have the right to request a correction.
- Right to an accounting of disclosures: You have the right to get a list of instances in which we have disclosed your PHI.
- The right to request restrictions: You have the right to ask that we limit how we use and disclose your information for treatment, payment or health care operations. We will consider your request, but we are not legally required to accept it.
- The right to choose how we send PHI to you: You have the right to ask that we send information to you at an alternate address or using a different means.
- The right to a paper copy of this notice: You have the right to a paper copy of the complete Notice of Privacy Practices.
E. Information and Complaints
If you would like additional information about Nephrology & Hypertension Associates of New Jersey privacy practices, if you think that we have violated your privacy rights, or if you disagree with a decision we made about access to your PHI, contact the Chief Privacy Officer, Nephrology & Hypertension Associates of New Jersey, 201 Laurel Oak Road, Suite B, Voorhees, NJ 08043, telephone 856-566-5478. You may also send a written complaint to the Secretary of the Department of Health and Human Services, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, 200 Independence Avenue, S.W., Washington D.C 20201.
Nephrology & Hypertension Associates of New Jersey reserves the right to change the terms of this notice and our privacy policies at any time. Before any important changes, we will promptly change this notice and post a new notice.
G. Effective Date of This Notice and Coverage
This notice went into effect on April 14, 2003 and applies to designated corporate subsidiaries of Nephrology & Hypertension Associates of New Jersey.
DISCLAIMER: By typing your name below, you are signing this application electronically. You agree that your electronic signature is the legal equivalent of your manual signature on this application.